The good news is that we are FINALLY moving out of this beige wonderland of an apartment. Honestly, this place depresses me to even think about.
The bad news is that we are not moving into our house because it will not be ready until July 16 at the earliest, on which date we will be out of town watching our youngest kids play golf. That’s a sentence I never thought I would say out loud. Anyway, on Sunday, we scheduled the movers for next Monday, we’ve reserved a storage unit for a month (please, please let us only need it for a month!!), and we are taking off for parts unknown next week. So maybe we are taking off to parts known. Let’s not get too picky, ok?
Last week, the flooring was reinstalled in the kitchen and surrounding damaged areas. Jorge, the wonderful, amazing cabinet maker, installed the kitchen cabinets for the third time (if Jorge never sees our house again, I’ll bet he will be thrilled). Fixtures were installed in the master bath and kids’ bath.
The tilers came back for roughly 5 minutes to lay a little more of the tile in the master bath and to fix the shower floor. They were scheduled to be back on Friday and Saturday to complete the job, grout the rest of the bathroom, and fix the kitchen tiles, but no. For real, though, I could not be in the business of building things with all these people who don’t show up when they say they will. It’s making me bonkers and I’m not even the one who has to tell my client that once again, my sub failed to show up.
The trim has been painted in the entire house except for where it has been replaced from the flooding, the ceilings and walls are primed, and color has begun to be applied upstairs.
That is a lot of green. First coat only, and the lighting is horrendous. All of you who can't commit to color just go ahead and hold your breath. These green cabinets are going to look outstanding with the wallpaper. Reminder…thirty something weeks ago, the bath was originally planned to look something like this. I ended up going with white penny tile for the floor and a green vanity. The octopus wallpaper will be hung shortly. The black faucets are already installed under that plastic, the shower faucet has been installed, as has the toilet. I'll spare you pictures of that for now.
How about G’s blue bedroom? Everyone (my husband and the builder) said it would be too dark. I stood my ground because the boy wanted blue and I didn’t want Cookie Monster (um, who knew Cookie Monster had his own Twitter account?). G's bedroom is going to look good in spite of G's demands on the place. Just wait till he moves his drum set in. *Insert forehead slap emoji here.*
Moving on. The plan for the next few weeks is as follows:
- The shower glass is scheduled for today, and fortunately, the tile guys showed up to finish grouting the shower yesterday.
- The countertops in the kitchen will be re-installed tomorrow.
- Painters should be done by Thursday with the ceilings and at least the first coat of all walls.
- The floors will be sanded down and finished beginning on Friday.
- The tile guys will finish when it damn well suits them.
- The electricians and plumbers will be back in the house beginning on the 5th to hang lights, install sinks and faucets, etc. Meanwhile, the painters will touch up and finish last coats of paint.
- Wallpaper will be installed whenever the installer can do it since she’s been pushed back twice already.
- At some point, I hope, the painters will actually prep and paint the outside of the house. This was originally scheduled for February.
Once these things are done, we will get some inspections, write up a punch list, and move on our merry way. In the meantime, I'll be in a U-Haul, somewhere in the middle of the United States with the stuff that we put in storage two years ago thinking it would only be there for six months. Good times.